House fire traced to small refrigerator

(Danville, Va.) – A smoke detector is credited with saving the lives of a Danville couple. Both were awakened by the fire alarm, smelled smoke, and were able to get out of their burning home to safety.

The fire started in a small refrigerator in the garage area of the brick home at 465 Southland Drive around 3:00 Monday morning.

Trucks responded and found smoke and flames coming from the house. They had the fire under control by 4:30 but were on the scene for about four hours.

Damage to the home was extensive and the family of two is staying with relatives.